How to secure yourself when shopping for Online Products?
As shopping for products online proliferates, new retailers join the electronic commerce world every day. This offers more and more purchase opportunities for the online shopper, but also forces us to double check our business partners. E-Commerce does not involve any face to face interaction, or an immediate transfer of the product, it does however, include the transfer of important financial and private data from the shopper to the retailer. Therefore when shopping online you should take required measure to insure that his shopping experience is pleasant and fruitful.
Here are some of the major measures you should take when shopping online:
- Try and shop at website that you or your friends know. If you or your friends have had a positive online shopping experience in a website, it may definitely serve as a preferable site for your next shopping spree. Even if slightly more expensive, a repeating purchase may be a good way to shop safely.
- When shopping in a new E-commerce site, try and get some information about it Try to get the retailer’s address, phone number and any other detail available. Confirm that the data is valid.
- Try to shop with companies located in the US or other countries with consumer protection laws
- Shop at secure websites: Secure websites use technology tools to secure the information sent to them by the online shopper. You can identify secure website through the following signs: - the site address begins with https:// instead of only http:// - a closed padlock appears at the bottom of the screen
- Read security and privacy policies: Learn how your data is managed in the company, make sure it is not used for anything other than the actual purchase and that it is not transferred to third parties
- In any way, try to limit the scope of data and information that you provide the retailer The less data you share the lower the chances to a violation of your privacy